Friday, August 28, 2009

Old Feet

I finally broke down and went to a podiatrist this morning. I always had some problem with pronating which caused achilles and knee pain but I could manage in the teenage years. One of the reasons I took the hiatus from running was the achilles pain..too much to bare when I wasn't even competing for anything. I tried some Super Feet inserts from the running store and they were miracle workers on my achilles but i have had some arch pain and my hips and hamstrings were sore... a lot! A had quite a nice experience this morning. I was fitted for custom orthotics (yep, I have some bad feet) for running/sports, encouraged to stretch my calves more and to keep up my core exercises (I'm not sure I want to tell my trainer this because I fear I'll be doing even crazier things than balancing on a bosu ball with one leg while doing squats). The Doc already put little extra inserts in my shoes and I feel a thousand times better. I highly recommend the Running Institue! Orthotics should arrive in 2 weeks...Just in time for the Crystal Lake Half Marathon on Sept 13th. Woohooo.

We have 12 miles this weekend....nice to have a low key run. Hah! 12 miles and low key don't seem to match. It's still over a 2 hour run, but just doesn't sound the same as SIXTEEN. I'll get to try out my Garmin watch for a long run now that I tested it out last night...I think I'm gonna love it! Have a great Friday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Starrin --

Your dad forwarded your blog. It's great you're doing the marathon! I'm volunteering for this one and will be the Front Runners/Front Walkers station on Broadway near Roscoe. Slow down and say hello. I'll save a Gatorade for you. Also, I have a wonderful Sports Medicine Chiropractor who has put me back together after many a running injury. Hopefully you won't need him but let me know if you do. Keep training and you'll be fine. Are you signed up for the CARA 20 Miler? I recommend it. Best of luck!!

Laurie

Starr said...

We will definately say hello! I would love to hear who your chiro is; I have heard such great results from other athletes. We are all signed up for the CARA 20 miler which I'm thrilled for the opportunity...it will be nice to have an event to offset the idea that we'll be running 20. Thanks for following and hope all is well!