Sunday, August 23, 2009

A Happy Place

Well, I have to say, after running 16 miles yesterday, I am finally getting to a "Happy Place" with this marathon training. I felt really good during the run and my muscle soreness is minimal compared to the first couple of long runs I did. I vividly remember visiting my friend and her newborn baby the day of our 13 miler and Kris and I could barely get out of the car or stand in the hospital room. I was worried the hospital staff would see us hobbling from the parking lot and bring out the wheelchairs! Yesterday, we were playing beach volleyball and hiking to my mom's beach. Once we hit our 15 mile mark I had this overwhelming feeling of "holy S***, we are going to run 16 miles and I can almost picture actually finishing 26.2." I don't want to get too cocky as I know we have more than 1/3rd of our training left, but this little training marker gave me some optimism. I tend to constantly think of what could go wrong. I don't wallow in it, but I do obsess about how to prevent it vs. enjoying when things go well. This marathon training is gently reminding me to enjoy sports and not fear them.

No comments: