Another Monday, another day of rest. It's also another day to prepare for the week ahead and try to plan out our runs. Darren was planning on running today as he has an early day at work tomorrow and social plans in the evening so Kris and I will be on our own Tuesday. We have a week of a 4 miler, 8 miler, 4 miler and then the big 16. Whoooo.
I think I'll take this time to share two things that have become super important to my marathon training. The first is the foam roller recommended by my life long friend, Beth N, who is also a physical therapist. It's basically a tool you use for self massage that works amazingly well to loosen up muscles and prevent soreness. I try to do it every night and bring it everywhere with me. My family members have witnessed many nights of me "foam rolling" Sometimes the roller turns into a weapon amongst my nephews if I leave it unattended. You Tube has great videos on demonstrating how to use the foam rollers and you can purchase one online and even at Target. I suggest a medium firmness roller for a beginner and then upgrade to a firm roller once you can roll out your quads without dropping f-bombs (it can be painful at first).
The other must have that I use, much to the demise of my husband, is icy hot! I love it. I use it almost every night on my legs and sometimes my back. Kris says I smell like and old man but I think it smells great. I think I might have a slight addiction. And just so you know, generic brands don't work the same. Also, stay away from the gel or easy applicator. The balm really works the best. I have tried them all! Ok, now I'm all excited for my icy hot.
Monday, August 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Watch out! Foam rolling is addicting!:)
xoxo
Snoop
My problem with the Icy Hot is not so much the smell, but the fact that I cannot use my hands for much of anything the rest of the night after touching it. Rubbing your eyes, bad idea! Going to the bathroom, really bad idea!
Post a Comment