Wednesday, September 2, 2009

X3 = a Marathon

Wendsday brought us our first 9 mile mid week sort of long run. Every time we hit some sort of milestone we always will say, "ok, that wasn't so bad, but we have x number of miles more to run the day of the actual marathon." That usually leads to some groans, expletives and sick laughter on our way to getting our chocolate milks.

After we finished our 9 today Kris commented that 9 miles was our first official Saturday long run. It was kind of a nice thing to think about considering we all finished with ease this morning and when we ran that 9 miles back on the 4th of July weekend, I thought I would parish on the side of the road in Door County. I finished the last 1.7 miles of that run on the sheer hope that Kris's parents would hopefully be making pancakes. As sweat was dripping down my body and I was sure my face was so beet red that I would scare small children, I kept thinking "pancakes, pancakes pancakes." Lucky for me, a big "Pops Breakfast" which includes pancakes, was awaiting our arrival. Just when I had that nice memory of "run for the pancakes," Darren said, "man, we have to run three of those for the marathon." The little bubble above my head of me sitting down at the cabin to a plate of pancakes feeling accomplished popped loudly. Will I ever feel ready for this race? I have no idea.



One of the most difficult aspects of this marathon training is the constant unknowing of what is going to happen or how I will feel doing it. I can tell you how many crunches will make my abs feel like they are on fire or how playing an entire game of basketball feels and how i will probably be limping around the next day. I have no idea what it feels like to run 18 miles or 26.2 miles. I have no idea how my body will react. Will I get the trots (Oh, God, no)? Will Kris and D have to carry me across the finish line or will I even finish ( I try not to let that thought linger too much). I try to push the more positive thought to the forefront of my mind that I might actually enjoy the 4+ hours we'll spend on the course. I figure that if the last couple of miles comes down to needing pure mental endurance and the ability to will it to happen, the odds are in my favor. Being a vertically challenged athlete, I have a pretty robust mental toolbox...sometimes the mental beats out the physical in sport.

I also have the edge of running alongside my husband and good friend who provide constant support and motivation; I'm a lucky girl. I'm also a girl who will not be left in the dust by two boys. Hah!

A happy 31st Birthday to our friend Jen E. This super woman finished the Chicago Triathlon last weekend. Goooo, Jen!

2 comments:

Sara said...

Love you guys, love the blog, LOVE chocolate milk for recovery. Keep up the good work! You're my heroes.

XOX,
SN.

jenevans said...

aww thanks for the shout out!! you guys rock. maybe i'll ride bikes next to you on one of your long rides. haha!