This weekend Kris and I will be running in the Crystal Lake Half Marathon. D is a distant maybe as it turns out he will be hosting some out of town guests. We're hoping he makes it but I'm sure he'll get his 14 miles in with his buddy or maybe running the Chicago Half that is on Sunday.
Kris and I are using the CL half as just another training run; we aren't racing for time, but instead, looking for some new scenery. I'm going to use this half as a test for my Marathon Day outfit. It specifically says in the training guides to train in the clothes you are going to run in the day of the race one or two times, so I carefully tested a few shirts, pants, hats and I think I have it all set. I asked Kris what he will be wearing and he looked at me like I had 4 heads for asking. Hey, I'm still a girl!
I guess I should start with the shoes. All three of us purchased our shoes at the top notch running store here in Chicago, Fleet Feet. They see how you run, analyze your gait, and suggest a couple of shoes specifically for you. I kind of dread this because I know that they will never steer me towards my favorite athletic shoes; Nike! I can't help it, I love Nike! I think it goes back to my first pair of racing flats with the big black swoosh on the side or perhaps the counting down to getting my first pair of Air Jordan's that my dad promised to me when I made Varsity Basketball. Or the great runner "Pre" and his testing of the original Nike Trainers. Needless to say, according to the running experts, Nike does not tailor to my needs. I wound up with a top rated (read, most expensive) running shoe, Asics Kayano 15 in blue. I will say they have great technology that allows the shoe to expand as your feet swell over distance. Since I basically have Fred Flinstone feet, this is a great feature for me. I've been happy with them and I'm excited to use them with my orthotics once they arrive.
Because I can't have Nike running shoes I will be all decked out in full Nike running gear. Maybe Nike will reimburse me when they see how great I look on race day. The goal of my race day outfit is comfort and to also wear something that I would standout in so friends and family could find me. I've had friends tell me, "I'm the one in the white shirt." Hah! To avoid D's suggestion of wearing Kiss makeup, I'm going with a purple shirt or as Nike calls it "Red Plum." I love this style because the sleeves are long and don't cut into the arm pit. I also have fallen in love with the Nike running capri's and will run in these that have a matching purple stripe. There is a convenient pocket in the back for running gels, pretzels etc. I also have a matching long sleeve shirt to wear over the shirt because I'm planning on a cold Oct. 11th. The good news is I bought both of the tops on sale at my favorite store, REI. Finaly, I'm be wearing my trusty training white Nike visor. I think it's actually a golf visor but it's light weight, keeps the sun out my eyes, and keeps the hair back. Sometimes it's hard being a girl. So many decisions to make! I'm hoping to get a picture of the outfit on Sunday so I can post so you will definitely know what to look for on Oct. 11th. 4 weeks and counting; Yikes!
Friday, September 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment