There is a new trend sweeping women's running and I have to say, I hate it! I've tried to hold off on sharing my disdain but I can't do it anymore. It's the ridiculous running skirt. Yuck. I imediately have images of the movie, "A League of Their Own," and the women having to wear skirts to offset the fact that they are playing a mans sport. I say, leave the skirts to tennis where the Williams Sisters have taken them to new fashion heights. Skirts have never been a requirement in women's running and I sure hope they don't show up on the proffesional circuit. I would hate to one day have a daughter and have to say, "Go run your hardest and don't forget your skirt."
I was in the store a couple of months ago when i showed Kris one of those puke worthy pieces of clothing. A woman piped up and explained that she felt more comfortable running in the skirt because it covered more of her backside. I kind of took a moment and understood her point and considered it for a while. Then I saw multiple women at the gym with their tight short skirts on and their cropped shirts and realized that the running skirt is now what the unitard thong was to jazzercise in the 80's. Ridiculous. I'll also have you know that Kris and I saw many women with running skirts on at the CL half marathon and while they may have felt more covered up, all it took was for a light wind to blow their skirts to the side and defeat their purpose. Also, encouraging these athletes to cover up vs. being confidant with their bodies takes away what running truly offers women. If you really don't feel comfortable, take it from a female runner who has seen better fitness days, and go with the running capris.
Down with the skirts! Seriously, running is a sport. I'm all for looking cute, but I don't like the conotations a running skirt brings to the playing field. To me, the running skirt just takes a woman athlete down a notch. Just my 2 cents.
2 comments:
I felt the same way until I spoke with several women who wear running skirts that fit the bill in their exercise needs: They can wear a compression garment yet cover up at the same time. Still, it's not for me! And yes, some of them are *just* for being cute (see: Lululemon).
Keep up the goo work! Almost there!
Sara,
That is a good point, however, shorts are an option too. Man, I hate those skirts :)
Post a Comment