I think I'm back on track with some excitement for this marathon training. I'm running 20 miles this weekend and I'm ready to run baby. Perhaps the heavily bearded man at the coffee shop this morning slipped something in my drink to give me this reborn giddy feeling. Really, I think it's the notification I received about spectator information for the big race. I love watching the marathon! I love the fact that this is one of the few events in Chicago, besides St. Patrick's Day, that can pull hundreds of thousands of Chicagoans out of a deep Sunday hang over sleep to cheer on strangers. It's a definite Chi-Town bonding moment. Kris, D and I have gone many times to cheer on friends and arrive early and stay late to see the thousands of road warriors we don't even know. This year we'll be with them and can't wait.
For those of you looking to spectate, I have some info. for you supplied from the Bank of America Chicago Marathon Site. First is a spectator's guide which lists a way you can track us via text messaging and some fun events on the route and the second is a one sheet of the course map. I know that some Chicago locals will be boarding their bike's in the attempt to follow us at as many stops as possible, but I'm going to share a recommended route that my friend Jess M. and I did to follow Stacy C when she ran. We saw her at 4 spots and it was not stressful and quite easy.
1) Feel free to use our house as a base. The gun goes off at 7:30 so you can probably watch most of the elite runners finish on tv before heading out to see us. We'll figure out the details later about who will be there to let people in etc. We could start anywhere between 8:00 and 8:30 depending on how far back we are.
2) Walk up to Fullerton and Clark at mile 9 3/4's and stand by Emilio's Tapas. Estimated time of arrival is anywhere between 9:30-10:00 depending on when we start. We will be running with a pace group and they will have signs held high in the air. We'll post later what pace group we will aim for and this should help locate us. If you're adventurous, you could run across Fullerton and see us at mile 6 just down to Stockton, but that gets dicey!
3) Walk back West to Halstead and get on the Halstead bus going South. Exit at Adams. You'll be able to see us at miles 13 1/2 and 16 1/2 without crossing the runners paths.
4) Grab a cab to finish and climb up into the grand stands to watch our glorious and hopeful non stumbling finish.
Now, the one place everyone says is so great is China Town, however, I think it's kind of crazy to get from there to the finish if that's your goal. Either way, you can use the spectator guide to plan out your day to your likings!
Wednesday, September 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment