Thursday, September 24, 2009

New and Improved?

We're in the middle of taper week number 1 out of 3. I think I might end up just doing 2 out of the 4 runs this week and letting my feet recover a bit after the 20 miler. We did 8 last night and for some reason, we ran at a pretty fast pace. I think we just wanted to get it over and done with.

I forgot to mention that I ran in some new shoes this past weekend. Last week, I went back to Fleet Feet to get another pair of my Asic's Kayano's; my original ones were pretty worn out and I needed to swap them out with some time before the marathon. Well, when you go to Fleet Feet they make a big stink about "not picking shoes based on color." They even post signs everywhere. I get the point they are trying to make. My first pair of Asic's were a light blue. Not my first pick by any means but it was the only color in stock for the shoe that was needed for my wonky feet.

So, before I went to Fleet Feet this time I went online and checked to see what other colors this style of shoe came in. They have one called "lightning" which is a cool orange/red color. I just knew I had to have lightning. Sounds fast and sporty, right?

I go in to Fleet Feet, tell the 22 year old shaggy haired guy what model and size shoe I need and ask him to, "bring me some Lightning Baby!" Ok, I didn't say it quite like that, but I did ask him to check for that color. He came back with a couple of boxes and I was excited. He opened the lid of the box and time kind of stood still for a second. I blinked a few times and my brain registered what my eyes saw. Arghhhhhh! Pink Shoes!

Pink Shoes? I looked at Shaggy and said, "umm, do you have any other colors besides pink? I see your sign over there, but I don't know if I can get these." He said, "yeah, umm, I get it, but this is all we have left." He looked at me with pity as he slipped on what were soon to be my first pair of pink athletic shoes. I really needed to get these shoes that day, but I had to think long and hard about that fact that I would be running the marathon in pink shoes. Now, please understand, I think pink shoes are cute and I even like them on other people, but they just don't say, "Starrin."

I took the shoes, and as soon as I walked in the door I told Kris. I didn't even have to explain. He responded with an "ooohhhh no!" When I went to work out with my trainer the next day he noticed right away and said, "what's up with the pink shoes, Starrin!" D had his new shoes on the next morning and he was worried they looked to white (his previous pair were CLC orange). I said, "take a look at MY pink shoes," he kind of replied with a low ,"unhhhhhhhh" and probably was thinking white wasn't so bad.

Who knows, maybe the pink power will project me to glory on October 11th. I'll be passing those ladies with lightning color Asics at mile 20. Yeah, lightning is for losers! I didn't want those anyway.

No comments: