I was driving to work this morning and the big electronic sign on LakeShore Dr. was all lit up. It's the one they use when a big event is taking place downtown to warn drivers of serious traffic delays and road closures. This sign was shouting, "Chicago Marathon, Sunday, October 11th. I had to laugh because D, Kris and I are part of an event causing a traffic warning. So fun! "Caution Motorists! D, Kris and Starrin will be taking over the streets of Chicago on Sunday."
I have had so many friends and family members call/email the past couple of days to share in the anticipating excitement. Some are past marathoners and some are avid Chicago marathon supporters just as I was. Today I received quite a few emails about the pending weather. Sunday should be a low of 35 and high of 50...the real cold won't come until Sunday night. Sounds perfect to me. I would like to share some of the thoughts and suggestions that came my way. And yes, I have funny friends!
Jill K (finisher of multiple Chicago Marathons) provided some tips and here are two I'd like to share:
1) YOU HAVE TO PEE IN Lincoln Park! I know, it sounds so gross but EVERYONE will be doing it. I'm not kidding. It's about mile 7 or 8, just when everyone needs to take a major pee. And no one wants to wait in line at the port-a-potties so ALL RUNNERS, EVEN THE WOMEN find a nice big tree in LP and pop a squat. I've done it every marathon, then I'm good to go till the end of the race. This is not the time to be modest, just pretend you're camping.
2)I know I've said this before. But seriously.... Walking only prolongs your misery. It's inevitable to walk, just don't start liking it and walk for miles at a time. You'll regret it a few hours after the race thinking, "I could have finished xx minutes faster!"
Stacy C (completed 2 Chicago Marathons) said, "Many people just pee in their pants."
Jess M (avid Chicago Marathon watcher) sent some great quotes:
1) “We are different, in essence, from other men. If you want to win something, run 100 meters. If you want to experience something, run a marathon.” - Emil Zatopek
2)"You have to wonder at times what you're doing out there. Over the years, I've given myself a thousand reasons to keep running, but it always comes back to where it started. It comes down to self-satisfaction and a sense of achievement." -Steve Prefontaine
3) "Marathon running is a terrible experience: monotonous, heavy, and exhausting." Veikko Karvonen (this one is pretty hilarious! it's brutally honest)
And then there's my dad who said, "just jump the fence and try to run with the elites!" Hahahaha! I guess he wants a dead daughter. By the way, he was dead serious.
Happy Pre-Marathon Thursday. For you runners out there, the marathon expo at McCormack Place is free and runs all day Friday and Saturday. They have some great stuff and lots of free samples.
Thursday, October 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment