Monday, October 5, 2009

Calm and Coooooool.

The weather is trending to be pretty cool on Sunday and I love the thought of that. I prefer to run any distance under 50 degrees and it looks like the morning low will be about 35 right now topping off at 50. Blame it on my years of running in the Chicago area. I spent many of my teen years running in hail, sleet, snow and crazy wind. I had some wicked electric pink spandex that went under my Jr. high uniform that were a necessity for track season. The snow man like bright orange warm up suits supplied by Crystal Lake Central were a God send in the fall and the spring.

D and I ran our final long run this Saturday. Kris sat this one out because he's experiencing some minor shin splints in his right leg. He's working on it and should be good to go race day. D and I ended our run for chocolate milk at Sark's. I feel like we are their mascots. We saddled up to the bar, placed our order (straight up, please) and they asked where our third runner was. So cute, we are now and identifiable group. The bartender even offered to give us a refill "on the house." I'm thinking maybe we need to go back for a regular old breakfast after the race.

I'm starting my checklist for the week. I need something to focus on and checklists are a great distraction. I have to keep things in mind for Kris as well or we'll be running to the store at 9:00 on Saturday night. Here we go to get things started:
1) Decide on what we want to put on our shirts (any suggestions)and buy some letters to apply.
2) Get extra gels...I prefer strawberry banana as they taste more like yogurt and Kris likes these raspberry ones. D would prefer anything that tasted like Coca-cola but can't seem to find any of those anymore; not sure what he'll get
3) Decide on what clothes I can wear to keep warm at the start and would be willing to part with for eternity. Supposedly all clothing that is discarded gets rounded up and donated to charity. We'll have to be in the start coral for at least 45 minutes and we'll need some layers.
4) Get a new pair of socks at Nike Town
5) Study the Course for aid stations
6) Determine what time we will leave from the house (5:00 is seeming like the way to go, yick!)
7) Buy more bananas to eat this week!
8) Get some gloves (D suggested skeleton gloves which would be awesome!) in anticipation of the frosty morning
9) Make the decision on what to have for dinner Friday and Saturday night...do we go with normal pasta or the chicken and pasta dish I made for the 20 miler. Can't decide. Ugh!

Ok, that will keep me preoccupied for now. Would love any shirt phrase suggestions.

No comments: